Friday, March 23, 2012

Depressed??

My blog is not only an encouraging blog, a fashion blog, but its a real blog. Im not a person who sugar coats things. I believe we deserve to know the truth. Whether or not we want to face it is another story. Caution! This post does contain statistics that may shock you. Parental discretion is advised. If you don't want to go get your mommy and daddy then realize that you're reading this at your own risk and this post is about depression in teens. 


I have struggled with depression myself. In fact, its a daily struggle. I often feel alone and that nobody loves me or wants to be my friend. I constantly struggle with this at church, school, and even in my own home. My symptoms often include isolating myself for long periods of time, not exercising, not taking on nanny opportunities, easily frustrated, annoyed, and angry, over sleeping, over eating, can't make decisions and can't concentrate, and easily forgetting things that are important and not important. Often I stay stuck and I feel like no one even cares that I am sad, so I gradually remove myself from friends and family. For me I go thru periods of depression and they usually last about a month maybe even two. I try to get myself out of it but its just too much work so I'd rather stay than move forward. I constantly have to remind myself of the people that I do have around me and realize that they would do anything for me. Once I realize that I'm not alone and that people really care about me, I pull myself out of it. I put myself around positive people, get back into work, go do family things, and really start to enjoy church. 


However, I realize that not all teens can do this and that most time its a struggle to see the light at the end of the tunnel and most times teens would rather stay stuck then ask for help. But not asking for help can result in some serious problems. Depression can cause self-mutilation, being a runner, and ultimately suicide attempts and for those not so lucky suicide achievements. As a teen, its lame to ask for help but I would get down on my knees and beg you to listen to these three words that I would like to challenge you with if depression is a constant struggle: ASK FOR HELP! You can't do this on your own and you need help, not from your friends but from someone who can really give you positive advice, coping skills, and ultimately be the light at the end of your dark tunnel. I hate being another statistic, to me being a statistic is being a normal person. And who wants to be normal? NObody, so challenge yourself and step out of the norm and don't be another statistic or a normal person. 


About 20% of teens will experience depression before they reach adulthood. 
Suicide is the third leading death of people ages 15-24 and the FOURTH leading cause of death for children between the ages of 10-14
75% of the people who commit suicide was first depress
90% of people who attempt suicide have a mental illness such as depression
One in five teens say that they have purposefully hurt themselves
1% or 2-3 million people in the US exhibit self-abusive behaviors
In the US one in every 200 girls between the ages of 13-19 cut themselves regularly
90% of self-injurers started cutting themselves as teens


These are just a few of the alarming statistics that I researched on the internet. Most teens who deal with depression are run-risk. These teens often runaway from home and they stay with friends, other family, hotel hopping, or just run the streets. One in seven americans will run away at some point before they turn 18. This may be a temporary thing for some kids but some may never come back home. This is the scary fact that you face when teens runaway, especially at night because most teens just run they don't have a place or plan in mind. If you know someone who may become a runner you need to speak up and tell a responsible adult because it just might save their life. 


Also, if you know anyone who is depressed and not getting help, help them receive help from a professional. Depression is nothing to mess around with because it can lead to mental illness, hospital stays, self-mutilation, and death. Teens who may be depressed may just need a counselor but some need medication and if they don't receive medicaiton they can go crazy and do things they might later regret. Get help, ask someone, please don't deal with this alone.


One last thing, I am also here to help. If you need someone to talk too because you're feeling lonely get in contact with me in person. I can't promise that I can give you the exact answers as to why you're depressed or self-mutilating but I can point you in the direction of help. Depression, self-mutilation, and running are all risk that I have taken and regret. I have been helped and thats all I want to do with someone else and thats to help them and be the light at the end of their tunnel. I love you all and so does Jesus! Again, don't try to do this on your own. You have been doing that already if you are one of these statistics. You're way is obviously not working so lets try a different way, together. Love all. Jesus is with you also don't forget that. 





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, you are not alone! Choose life, choose love, choose a future, you are not defined by your past. You can do and be anything that you want, your mind is the only thing that limits you.

    ReplyDelete